It is spring, and for my husband that means Turkey Hunting. It kinda snuck up on me (even though it was on the calendar), so when I realized he was going to be gone for a week, I decided to finish up a project.
My mom is in her early 70's. She moved out of my brother's house in January and into her own place. She has lived with first one brother and then a second brother since she retired ten years ago. Somehow she never moved out, never got her own place, but stayed and helped my brothers and their wives at the time to raise their four children. It wouldn't have been my choice, but it was hers.
I think she is enjoying having her own space , not just a room in the middle of someone else's space. As small as her room is, it is surrounded by a lot of other people in the building to talk to and have coffee with downstairs. Her cat is back after not being able to stay with her during the previous year due to a family dog who was not cooperative.
I went up last month to bring her Quinn's glider rocker - the only thing she said she needed was a chair to sit in and read. Quinn has outgrown the glider (he sits on your lap for reading and you can't see over his head), so it was good timing.
I was surprised by how little she had in her apartment. I couldn't get it out of my head. So, I contacted my brothers and told them I wanted to get her a few pieces of furniture and a t.v. They agreed to pitch in, and I went shopping.
Long story short, while Erick was off stalking those poor, ugly turkeys, Quinn and I loaded up the car and headed to Seattle. In one day we replaced her bedding, put a bookcase together to hold her t.v., and got a couple of small tables for each side of her daybed. Oh, and some flowers for the balcony table.
My mom has always pretty much accepted whatever came her way. She rarely complains about much and will always tell you that everything 'is fine!'. But after all was done and cable was hooked up she told me that she feels at home now.
That's what I was looking for.


No comments:
Post a Comment