Tuesday, September 18, 2007

And you think YOU had an exciting weekend...

I gotta say, there are milestones in the growth of a child, and most of them have the "Yea! My kid IS normal" moment, quickly followed by the "Oh my god. This means college tuition isn't far behind" moment. We had one of these a couple of weekends ago.

Quinn will be 3 on December 31st (and who wouldn't like to have a party already made for them on their birthday every year???). He is a smart little tyke, talks a blue streak and has a fascination with all things involving light bulbs, fans or trains. If any two of those things come together, watch out.

Anyway, he is like his Papa - loves to sleep. When we finally moved out of his room and set up shop in the other bedroom the middle of last year, he immediately responded by sleeping ten hours straight. Now, this was something I thought was NEVER going to happen, and was sure that sleep deprivation was eventually going to turn me into a slobbering, blithering numskull. Not a pretty picture.

But Quinn didn't seem particularly interested in getting out of his crib after he turned two. In fact, he fell out one time, and we think it freaked him out sooooo badly that he just wasn't willing to risk it again. So, there he was, always waiting patiently for me with a big smile in the morning or after naps.

We have one of those convertible crib deals that goes from a crib to a toddler bed to a full-sized bed. We've been thinking that it was getting to be about time to switch over, especially since he just looked to BIG standing in it. So, being the blabberer that I am, I began talking with my little man about changing his crib a couple of months ago. Then, one day, when he wasn't particularly thrilled with taking a nap, he fell out during an escape attempt, and that was it; D-Day was on.

I was a bit nervous about this. Would this change result in a nightly roaming child, pulling on me in the middle of the night, causing me to scream, causing him to cry, etc, etc, etc??? I am worst-case-scenario Mom, I admit it. I tried to be calm as Quinn climbed into his "new" bed after Erick took off the front, pulled a blanket over himself and said "Night-night, bird".


Miracles on top of miracles, it was painless for everyone. Not only did he go to sleep that first night, but has every night since. He still lays there for a while, talking, singing, doing whatever a 2 and a half year old does by himself in his bed, but he doesn't come looking for us. His naps haven't changed and are still a healthy (for me, not him) three hours.
So. Change isn't so bad after all.
Now, if only potty training was going as smoothly....









5 comments:

Cindra said...

Lucky you! Good for Quinn...and you know...he won't be going to any highschool proms in Depends, so it will all work out.

My current 3 year old constantly tries to escape anything and everything and scares me to death. You really are lucky!

Jacob said...

Yeah. What she said.

(Hi, Cheendruh!!!!)

Jacob said...

Potty training?

What's that?

'Scuse me. I gotta whiz off the deck.

Unknown said...

Boys always do take longer to civilize honey. ;)

Jacob said...

How come when I click to enlarge that one picture, I get a different picture?

Huh?

You tryin' to trick us?

Huh?

Well?

Huh?