This past weekend we had Quinn's fifth birthday party. We put it off for ten days because and important friend couldn't make it on his actual birthday. Turned out to be the right decision all around - far less stressful than trying to do it after all that holiday rush rush rush.
My older brother Kurt (Uncle Dirt to Quinn) came down from Seattle on the train with his two daughters and my father. It was a treat to have them here to celebrate with us.
They came on Friday early afternoon, so Niya (almost 12) helped me pull together the fondant-covered cat cake I planned on making for the party. Good thing, too, 'cause it would have taken my hours more to get it done. Niya was also in charge of mixing the frosting.
First we had to color the fondant light blue and cover the cake with a flat piece. Then we rolled long strings and wrapped them around. Had I actually read the directions thoroughly, I would have avoided the zigzaggy look.
With the leftover fondant the kids made their own designs.
I also made some cupcakes (backups in case the cake didn't work out). We used peppermint patties and junior mints to make kitty paw prints.
It was hard to make the actual cat for the top of the cake. Ours ended up a bit more burly than the one in the picture in the cookbook. Here Keenan, Niya and I are happy to have the head and face done.
Assembly.
Finished product:
1 comment:
oh my gosh! I LOVE that cake!!!!
Post a Comment