Quinn and I started a book called "Teach Your Child To Read in 100 Easy Lessons" over a month ago. A friend suggested it and I had heard of it before, so thought we'd give it a try. Quinn has been ready for a bit and was always asking help sounding out words.
The lessons ARE easy. They take about 10 minutes (on a slow day) and we do it every day. Well, not Every Day, but when we've had to skip a day, we double up on the next day. I was expecting him to start getting bored with it, but just about the time he did start, the book added short readings that connected to a picture. Those smart book-writing peoples knew the stories about cats, cars and goats would be just the ticket to keep my little brainiac interested.
Last night we finished our 50th lesson. The story was about two kids who took a fan to the beach and blew sand all around. Quinn's input after seeing the picture? "Where did they plug the fan in??" Astute child.
As an incentive and as a reward for being so cooperative and willing to work every day, I told Quinn he would get a Surprise after the 50th lesson - being as it is half-way through. He LOVES surprises, and called his Daddy at work Friday night and told him to hurry up and come home so we could read.
After finishing the story and the lesson he got his surprise - a ZhuZhu Pet. You know, one of those mechanical hamsters that were all the rage last year (or the year before??). Being pet-less (and very aware of that fact), Quinn could not have been more thrilled.
I think reading is one of the most important things for kids to be confident about, so I am very happy Quinn is enjoying this process. Not to mention that it is a time for us to connect with something fun every day.
I love listening to him read.
2 comments:
You are a brilliant woman! I tried to make my way through that book and I couldn't even get thru the directions! Congrats on finding a great tool for you all.... we on the other hand are still searching!
The instructions bored me to tears. I skimmed. We don't do it Exactly as instructed - Quinn won't go that slow, so we adjust where needed. I have other friends who's kids only got 1/3 of the way through and some that finish. It's a fit thing. We may not make it to the end, but he's lightyears beyond where he was when we started.
Post a Comment