Sunday, May 9, 2010

Waiting for the shoe to drop...

I came home ten days ago to find that we had been burgled.  Burglarized.  I like 'burgled' better, really.

They came in through the kitchen window.  Broke both panes and somehow unlocked it and crawled in over the sink (managing to not knock over the dish detergent bottle!).  I didn't even notice this until after I had gone to the back of the house where the office is.  I found the box our camera came in on the desk and the camera gone.  I figured that Erick had needed it for some reason and proceeded to check email.  After a bit I went to the kitchen to get some water and saw that the blinds were open and twisted.  Then I noticed that the glass was broken. 

The air left my body.  I grabbed the phone and called Erick, and he started home.  I spent the next 15 minutes crying, hyperventilating and looking around the house.  It was obvious that the camera was gone.  The tv cabinet doors were opened a bit, but there was little other proof that someone had been here.  I looked in the garage to make sure no one was here - and found Quinn's piggy bank sitting on the chest freezer, empty, it's little belly plug missing.  How sad!

We called the police and they came.  They were able to get fingerprints off the window, and it became very obvious that this thief (or thieves) were both young AND courteous.  The fingerprints were small, as was the one footprint in dirt on the kitchen floor. 

They opened drawers, but closed them neatly.  They didn't knock anything over or obviously rifle through things.  They closed the closet doors after stealing the old laptop of Erick's.  They were obviously after small electronics, and had we had a game system or other such things, they would have had a new home.

Even though I was Freaked Out, I couldn't help but see the humor in it all.  The laptop they took?  Fried motherboard.  The camera they took?  They couldn't find the charger (hence the box being out).  That camera won't last long. Even the piggy bank full of change?  Mostly pennies. 

Not really worth a potentil breaking and entering rap.  Not really worth destroying any sense of security I had.

Honestly, it could have been SOOOOOO much worse.  I'm grateful for it not being more traumatic, especially for Quinn. 

So, we replaced the glass and got checks from the insurance company. Erick replaced the camera today with a smaller, quicker one.  We'll look into a security system soon, most likely, but the urgency just isn't there.

We just don't have stuff that small, courteous thieves want. 

I can live with that.

1 comment:

Freckles and Frogs said...

wow! still scary and annoying! Poor Quinn! any news on possible suspects?