Yes, we're back. Wasn't exactly sure I was going to keep going there for a while. Too much to do, too little time, too little motivation. Not sure I've turned the corner on all that, but there you have it.
Lots went on during December - as usual. One thing we did (after I stumbled upon it one day) was go ride an honest-to-goodness steam train. Now, we've watched our share of Toy Trains - so much so over the past few years that we know the theme song and I hear the Boys humming it on a regular basis. We still pick up a DVD at the library now and again. Trains are still beloved by my now 6-year old.
Two famous engines happen to 'live' in Portland. The 4449 is one that we kno a lot about. Seen it many times on video, know it's history, so I was surprised that we could actually go ride it. The foundation that owns the engines does a yearly fundraiser at Christmas called "Holiday Train".
We were there. Not only was the engine the 4449 but all the cars were original. The put xmas lights on the outside and the inside. The ride was at night so we didn't see very much of Portland, but the people watching was better.
See how excited we were?
The volunteer conductor in our car got treated to a look at the train map Quinn made before we went. This conversation went on for 10 minutes, after which the very nice man winked at me and said "Now That is a smart boy!".
Happy train boy.
After the 40 minute train ride we got to go to the front of the train to see it all lit up and wait for it to take off again. It was really pretty impressive.
I had to take a video, and it only partially shows how powerful, load and impressive it is. Most steam engines have been converted to run on oil, but this one is the Real Thing.
I'll admit it - I was giggly. Something about it was very cool and I think I may have been, after all is said and done, more excited about it than Quinn.
But don't tell him that.

No comments:
Post a Comment