I had one of Those Days. At least once I left the house.
The Little Dictator and myself set off to run a couple of errands before we went to our play group at 10:30. Except for a last minute change of clothes brought on by someone (and it wasn't me) who tried to wait just a moment too long to visit the loo, we were right on time. Quinn climbed into his carseat (we're past Mama lifting him in, thank you very much) and I drove away. As we turned into the street I heard a sound and just thought that something shifted in the trunk.
When I pulled into a parking space downtown, I realized what that bump had been. The overdue video I had put on the top of the car. Along with the latest proof of car insurance.
I tried with all my Good Mama stuff not to swear like a sailor and yell at the schmuck who pulled out in front of me and then drove about five miles an hour. I had visions of shards of the Raffie video scattered all over the street. As we pulled up to the stop sign across the street from our house, I could see the video smack dab in the middle of the road. As I should have expected, a truck, one that looked like it's owner wouldn't care if it ran over something the size of a horse, turned in front of us onto our street. I clenched my teeth and said "Quinn, if that truck runs over Raffie, we're gonna have some 'splainin' to do to the librarian".
But, the planets must have aligned, 'cause the truck missed the tape by half a foot. I pulled up, jumped out and snatched the intact video and, strangely, the insurance paper off the road.
As we drove off to do our errands Quinn said "Mama, that truck didn't run over Raffie. We don't have to 'splain nothin' to nobody now".
I had to smile.
No comments:
Post a Comment