Saturday, April 12, 2008

Poop and pee in the woods

The last couple of days have had a theme.

Friday evening my boys were outside barbecuing dinner and messing around in the yard. The newly warmish weather means this will become a nightly event. They were out next to the compost pile, doing what I'm not exactly sure, when a bird chose that moment to relieve itself. On the top of my child's head.

Did you know that bird's don't really poop? It's really pee, not poop. Quinn thought this tidbit of information quite funny.

Saturday, when the temperature was supposed to go above 65 degrees, involved a trip Catherine Creek, one of our favorite haunts. I was dying for a hike, so we started up the trail behind the creek. I've taken Quinn twice before when he was much younger and in the backpack, but this time he was on his own; holding someone's hand, of course. All along the trail there were piles of elk and deer poop, which fascinated Quinn and kept him talking about poop almost all the way up. Once we got to the top and were in a small meadow we found what was probably coyote droppings in the middle of the trail.

Before we headed up the trail my boys needed to, shall I say, take care of a little business. Quinn had been pretty excited about the concept of peeing in the woods, so he had his pants down around his ankles before either his Daddy or I could do anything. In case you didn't know, it's pretty hard to concentrate on peeing when you're giggling. We're still talking about it.

Add to that some continued success in potty training and I feel like our lives have been defined by poop and pee. I'm hoping next weekend has a different theme. Not that I have anything against poop and pee, you understand.

4 comments:

Katie said...

River is way too keen about peeing outside. "The world is not your urinal, son." I swear that's how he potty trained so early. He was just so excited to pee outside! Oops!!

Freckles and Frogs said...

I'm all for p'in outside. Nothing worse than diggin in the mud and having to go inside and track mud all over :) Hmmm.... hadn't thought of the Cathering Creek hike this spring! How long did it take you with Quinn walking on his own? I'm sure he stopped quite a bit! We did hit two parks last weekend and then yesterday (Monday) Noah says, "I can't believe we didn't go back to Candy Land Park (that's what he calls candy cane park) before it snowed again. We played at Burney Park and Riverside, how come you NEVER EVER FOREVER take me to Candy Land?". Oh brother!

Freckles and Frogs said...

Oh I mean for little boys digging in the mud and not wanting to go inside... NOT ME! Sorry if you were confused! :)

Van Dykes said...

Oh, come on, you know you pee outside, too! : )
The hike took about 2 hours, maybe a bit more. We didn't get all the way to the top where the big rock outcropping is, but it was a good walk. And 'cause we had to go slow due to some short legs on my boy, it wasn't too exhausting, either.