I'm trying not to get freaked out by this. Exactly a year ago Quinn started limping one morning. It was hardly noticeable to most people, but being the Worst Case Scenario Mother, I did, and it got me worried. He didn't seem to be in any pain and didn't complain about it. He had a hitch in his step on his left side. We couldn't think of any fall or injury that had happened to explain it - no cuts, no bruises, no bumps to be seen. After five days I took him to the doctor.
Within an hour we were at the hospital getting xrays. Concern was about a virus that invades the hip joint and can be a serious problem. But, after a fun time (really - Q thought that the xray machine was 'cool' and wanted to hang out there for a while) and an anxious weekend of waiting it turned out not to be what the doctor was concerned about. And a couple of days later the limp went away. Nothing like a little adrenaline in the spring...
So. Back to the present. Yesterday Q started limping again. This time it seems to be in both legs, with the right one seeming just a tad bit more, well, limpy. He walks like both legs or both feet are sore, with a stiff bouncy gait. I've asked him if it hurts, he says 'no'. He did say his heels hurt, but I may have planted that idea in his little noggin.
Anyhoo. Here I sit, watching his every step, trying to gauge whether it's something I need to jump right on or see if it runs it's course. Could it be growing pains? Is he in a huge growth spurt (that might explain the constant eating and drinking) and he's just achy? Is it something in his bones, muscles, brain?
I don't know. All I know is that it's something else to fret about.
3 comments:
Wow! Isn't it tough to know when it's a big deal and when it isn't. It was in the spring when it happened last time? He's a pretty smart kid, maybe he's just added a "spring to his step" to keep up with the season. wish I had some good insight for you!
I know exactly what it is, Sarah. Such a no-brainer, really. Glad I happened onto this when I did to save you some grief: He's trying to tell you that he needs to go fishing in Yaquina Bay. Sorry, no other body of water will do.
I have researched this thoroughly. So don't even THINK of challenging the diagnosis. In medical circles, it's what they refer to as "Bay Limp" and it is easily cured with the above-mentioned remedy.
So get ON it! Or you are a failure as a mother. Yeah, that would be your worst fear, now wouldn't it?
(No charge. And you are more than welcome.)
G
Post a Comment