Sunday, May 25, 2008

It's what you might think

Things here are what you'd expect - lots of boxes here and there, nothing where it should be, the sound of tape going through the dispenser. Needless to say, the chaos is not my favorite thing, even though it is my particular kind of controlled chaos. If it was only the moving thing I suppose things would be less stressful.

Quinn is still not thrilled with moving and doesn't appreciate that he won't have a playroom at the new place like he does now. He doesn't understand that this is a temporary move until we find a house. If he can't find something right away his response is "Mama packed my 'fill in the blank'!!". Even though I've left his stuff until the last moment, he's not buying it.

Yesterday we put him down for a nap, and when he wasn't asleep an hour later, I freed him from his room. He bopped around for a bit, then went back to his room while I was on the phone. A bit later I went looking for him to get him ready for a trip to Union with his Dad, and he was dead asleep on the floor. Suppose he really needed a quick nap.

Since Erick was in Clackamas most of last week at his new job, Quinn and I concentrated on packing and keeping him occupied. The weather didn't cooperate much, so we took a lot of warm baths. One night he wanted, out of the blue, to take his doll into the bath and wash him. This doll creeps me out a bit 'cause it looks a lot like Quinn when he was a fat chubby baby.
He did a good job soaping the baby down and rinsing of her hair. The doll went from a boy to a girl during this bath. When he got in the tub, he said "The baby's penis fell off!". We agreed that perhaps the doll was a girl to start with and hadn't lost it's penis. That seemed to satisfy him.



The moving van comes Thursday morning and drops off our stuff on Friday. Erick is going to stay in Clackamas and meet us there on Friday morning. Not very excited about pulling this off alone, but that's fatigue talking mostly. Friends are going to help keep Quinn occupied and we may have an Empty House Goodbye on Thursday night. After I clean and polish the wood floor once all the furniture is gone.
Wish you were me, don't ya??

5 comments:

Freckles and Frogs said...

WOW!!! That's how our move to LaGrande was, just me and Noah wingin' it with the final packing and the moving van excitment. It's happend so quickly! will you be in an apartment for awhile or renting a house?

Van Dykes said...

Renting a townhouse. Good thing it's just been completely redone, so I can enjoy a nice kitchen and bathroom while we search for a house to buy close to E's work. Never moved this big, so it's a new experience!

Freckles and Frogs said...

What sort of work does he do?

Van Dykes said...

He's a fish research biologist - has studied salmon here but will be working on a few different species in Portland. This is less field work and more management, so he'll have to get used to that, but it's a good move career-wise for him.

Freckles and Frogs said...

Wow! Did he work in Badgley here at EOU? A couple of weeks ago, I thought I saw him, but felt a little weird about walking up to him and saying, "excuse me, but are you married to Sarah? Congrats on your move, I know because I stalk her blog every day!". So I opted to think to myself, "That looks like Erick". I was going to see if you wanted to speak at the OxFam dinner thursday night, they are looking for RPCV's, I'm doing it and then I realized that you have a date with your moving van and hard wood floors!