Monday, March 23, 2009

Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden

We finally got to the Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden while my dad was here this weekend. Located on a big lake right across from a golf course, this park boasts eight acres of rhodies and other flowering trees and bushes. But. The main reason for picking this spot for a visit were the DUCKS. Always on the look-out for new duck viewing and gawking opportunities, this seemed like the perfect, sedate outing.

Of course we're a little early in the season to see the rhodies in full bloom, but there were a few and the weather could not have been nicer. We are going back every couple of weeks to keep up on the progress, as this is our new favorite spot.

Now, the ducks, they were many and varied. We thought our little group of mallards was pretty special, but here there were a lot of varieties and even a couple of odd, well, ducks.

See the wood duck in the tree? Perhaps one of the reasons they are called 'wood' ducks:

I'm pretty sure we were all looking at ducks here.

And here, too.

This mallard just sat on the wall, not caring one bit that Quinn was right in his face. Suppose he's used to it and was hoping for a little hand out.

This odd bird is a duck, although it sounded like a goose and kinda looked like a goose. A group of kids had been feeding them, so most of the ducks had come up onto the path to get their share. This guy thought that maybe Quinn had something (I'm sure all kids look the same to him), so he did the Stare Down.

Quinn said something like "Oh, that silly duck! I don't have any food, and his head is weird".

This strange bird had us all puzzled. It had duck feet, but it's face looked like a vulture's. The feathers on his back were really beautiful, peacock green and blue. He just stood there, paying no attention to us as we discussed him. We later googled him and discovered that he is a Muscovy Duck. They originated in South America and are prized for their meat which is supposed to be like roast beef.

Since I am always the one taking the pictures, thought I'd grab one with Quinn while I had him sitting still.

They even had a waterfall.


Quinn was very happy to have Grandpa around. As you probably know, my dad is recovering from a long stay in the cardiac ICU and hospital in January. He is doing well and we all enjoyed his visit.

We're going to have to get a membership to the Garden. It's cheap, and we can go and hang out on a whim since it's fairly close (near Reed College) and there are lots of places to sit and have a little picnic and harass the ducks. Our favorite thing to do.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks and sounds like it was a GREAT time! Q's getting so darn big, I can hardly believe it. That place sounds like it'll be a source of lots of fun in teh future - especially when it's warm enough to leave the coats at home. I have to admit, I'm jealous of all the rhodies - that's one of my favorite things about the valley, the rhodies are always in abundance.

Lisa said...

Your dad looks fantastic - so good to see him on the mend! I think I need to take some lessons from Quinn about how to be direct and say what I think ...