It couldn't be simpler, either. Before I make the pancake I cut up one or two apples, put them in a pan with water, brown sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. I cook this until the apples are still a little crunchy, but you can cook them until they are what you want. You can thicken the sauce with cornstarch if you like, but I find the sauce that is left behind is often thick enough if I don't use a lot of water. We also sometimes add raisins, peaches, pears or frozen fruit. It's a good way to use fruit that is starting to turn and needs to be used up.
Anyway, here's the recipe:
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp. salt
3 eggs
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a 10 or 12-inch skillet (nonstick is best - obviously it needs to be ovenproof) put 2 tablespoons of butter. Put in the oven just long enough for the butter to melt. I usually mix the batter while this is happening - you want to pour the batter into the pan immediately after mixing so it will puff its best.
Beat three eggs with a hand or stand mixer until they are fluffy. Pour in the milk, flour and salt and beat until well blended; takes about 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides if you need to.
Pour the batter into the pan and return to the oven. Bake 12-15 minutes or until it has puffed up and the top edges start to brown slightly.
Cut and serve. It sinks a lot, but we top with the apples and add syrup and powdered sugar. You can get away with not using syrup if you use the sauce from the fruit - it's almost better that way.
Anyway, this is one of those traditions we try not to miss each week. Quinn eats about a fourth of the pancake. It probably serves four if you have sausage or yogurt or something else along with it.

This isn't a picture of our pancake, but its the best one I could find. Ours always looks perfect with a beautiful yellow color.
Try it. You won't be sorry!
1 comment:
I am definitely going to try this this weekend! I love how simple it is - and it sounds delicious! On second thought, maybe I'll make this for lunch.... =)
Post a Comment