Monday, June 8, 2009

Not so much

The summer is here.

I had to make the decision to take Quinn out of preschool for the summer recently, and it was a hard one. He loves it there and even though it is only ten hours a week, it is the time I can concentrate on other things with no guilt. He is learning and enjoying himself, but the fact that I'm not working yet means that something had to give. The entire point of having him in school was to get him used to it for when I did start working and he ended up in full day preschool. If I can manage it, I plan ahead.

Well, months and months later I'm still looking for the right job. Several have come, but not worked out and I've lost a little hope. I can blame the poopy economy partially, but it just hasn't happened. Spending the money to keep Quinn in school through the summer just seems backward for us.

It didn't help my decision that the owner of the preschool offered us the summer at half price. Gee, Jenny, way to make my choice more difficult!

Anyway, this is Quinn's last week at school. He is hard to read sometimes so I'm not sure how he feels about it; sometime next week he'll tell me in that out-of-nowhere way he has.

The plan is for me to go into serious Cruise Director mode. For the price of school I can get Quinn signed up for a long list of fun things - swimming, day camps, soccer, science camp, etc. We can hit all the sights on free days and make short day trips here and there. We can sleep in; okay, HE can sleep in - I'm still getting up to walk at 5 am.

Initially when this became a possible scenario for the summer, I wasn't jumping up and down thrilled with it. I got exhausted thinking about having to entertain a 4-year old all day every day. I've been in this 'going to have a job soon' mode for so long, shifting gears like this was hard.

But. I've gotten used to the idea. This could very well be the last summer I have to spend with him. He's old enough to communicate and engage with on outings, and he can now tell me if he is enjoying something, and if he isn't, why. We can explore together. My attitude has officially been adjusted.

1 comment:

Freckles and Frogs said...

I feel your pain! I made the decision in March to put off looking for a job until fall, so we can have that one last summer. Then I freaked out last week, when summer offically started! I felt a little guilty of signing him up various camps, until those first couple days with nothing to do! Congrats on your new Cruise Director job! You'll do GREAT and Quinn will love it!