Sunday we took a trip to the Columbia Gorge Model Railroad Show. Tucked in north Portland, I was amazed that in all my searching for things to do with Quinn that this hadn't shown up on my radar. They are a 'club' of people who work on this massive toy train layout in a 40X60 foot room. It has scenes from the Gorge as well as some Washington spots. There were at least 25 people running all the trains, some of them poked up from beneath the exhibit, running their particular trains.
We walked in and Quinn said "Oh my gosh!! Look at all the trains!!". There was an aisle in between the two long exhibits, so all you had to do is stand somewhere and eventually a train came your way. The details were great - houses, people, bikes, cars, all to scale. There was so much to look at.
In order to see all the layout, Quinn asked for, and received, a boost. What is new these days is that after about 15 minutes he has to get down and let the blood run back to his legs - serious pins and needles. There's only a modicum of complaining...
In another room there was a chance for the little kids to 'run' a train. Granted, they only went backwards and forwards on this 4 foot straight piece of track, but Quinn could not have been more excited or riveted. He was a fantastic share-er and was very kind to the other children waiting to play. It was his favorite part of the trip.
A fun morning. Oh. And there was popcorn, too. Ah. Bliss.
2 comments:
I've never heard of this either! Thanks for the tip!!!! Does it cost to attend? If you are on the move, you might check out Story Book Land in Albany. www.ChristmasStorybookLand.org We went last year and it's cute. I think it's free, just a donation to the foodbank.
OKay the Christmas Storybook website didn't tell much. It runs I think Dec 4-18. We went in the evening, I'm not sure what the hours are. If you are interested, leave me a comment and I'll find out. There was one big train display that was pretty cool. Susan
Post a Comment