Monday, November 30, 2009

Turkey blah blah blah

Thanksgiving for us was sooooo mellow for us that there were times that we nodded off on the couch.  I will use this as my excuse for not only the complete lack of pictures, but the lack of quality and context.  I was just too relaxed.  An hour before the turkey was supposed to be done, I thought "gee, I outta make some potatoes". 

Quinn was equally relaxed.  Close to sleep, watching something about trains, I'm sure.



Since Daddy had a successful turkey hunt this past spring, we decided to have one of them this year for Thanksgiving.  Since it was only the three of us, we took our time and put a lot of time into the 'prep'.  Quinn helped Daddy stuf the bird with apples, onions and an orange. 



We use an injector to put a lot of chicken broth into the meat, insuring a moist product.  Wild turkey is good, but when you are used to the farm-raised variety who never fly and have Breasts with a capital 'B', wild turkey can be challenging. 



Unsure of exactly what was going on here, but it went on for quite a while...



Dinner was great and besides turkey there were no leftovers.  Quinn told me that the gravy was "perfect" and had two helpings of mashed potatoes and gravy.  The apple-cranberry-currant pie with french topping with french vanilla ice cream was loved by all.  I liked the brandy that was in it...

All in all quite a mellow, warm and easy holiday.  No driving, no stress, no smiling when I didn't want to.  But ended up doing just that an awful lot. 

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Wild turkey? That and the pie sound so delicious. And far beyond my ambition! (or would that be motivation ...) Does Q have holiday break from pre school?