In complete, naked honesty, I don't have anything uplifting or particularly charming to write about. Oh, I'm sure I could dredge it up, but I have neither the energy or the desire to do it. I'm struggling with intense, persistent fatigue, the kind that makes the thought of walking down the street to watch Quinn while he rides his bike simply overwhelming. It's past time to visit the doctor, figure out what it is (if anything) and go from there. I can find the time to do it, just suffering that limbo of "better not to know". I'll work through it soon and get it done, but right now it seems to be just another thing hanging over my head.
Anyhoo.
I went to New York at the end of June for work. If you know me at all, you know that I Dislike and Detest conferences. I have never been to one that came close to being worth the travel, money or investment of time. But, this is a New job and one must do what one must do sometimes. So I went. I was beyond glad that the program assistant also got to go, so there was someone to share the angst with. Was I surprised when this Massive conference (attendance was something like 5,000 people!) turned out to be just a lot of chatter and nothing of Subtance? Nah. I could have dealt with that, was prepared for it, but not I say, NOT when it is 95 degrees with 98% humidity.
Oy! It was like being back in Tampa or in Dar es Salaam! The oven-like hotness, made even more oven-like by the asphalt, concrete and glass everywhere.
Our hotel was just a couple blocks up 7th from Times Square and a block from just about everything else, including Radio City.
Cool church - the old right up against the new.
Lenee and I went on a Food Walking Tour of the Lower East Side. Ended up being the only two people signed up for the tour that day so had the guide all to ourselves. Made for a much easier and informative tour. Susan has been doing these tours for years. We started at the Essex Market (indoors) with this chocolate maker. We sampled a few things and then I just had to buy a Margarita chocolate. Boys and girls, my god, it was like DRINKING one! Amazing contrast with the dark chocolate. The owner used to be a bar tender and most of her confections involve liquor. I wanted to work for her.
After the Jewish deli and a bialy, we headed to The Pickle Guys. We sampled three different pickles and got to understand the difference between sour and not sour pickles.
This store, according to Susan, is jam packed on certain days.
We also went to Chinatown and Little Italy. It was hot. Did I mention that?
One day, between boring and informationless sessions, Lenee and I took a stroll down through Times Square looking for, what else - food. She got stuck doing a quick interview with these kids who were involved with a little theater deal going on in the street. Something to do with the oil spill - an art project we eventually were told. Girls in white walked really slowly in a circle with plastic jars filled with oil-colored liquid in them.
Only in New Yawk, people.
Think this speaks for itself:
This was not the first carriage driver dude who was busy on his cell phone. This guy was only talking, but I saw several who were texting while driving.
Went to the top of Rockefeller Center for a bit and took a few pictures of the Big Apple. The Big Sweaty Apple.
Here's my Near Celebrity Sighting: you might not know who this is, but if you have watched "Top Chef" you do. A couple of seasons ago Carla was in the top three. Erick and I both liked her - she was genuine and adorable. She presented an award at the event we had gone to the night before, and while we were waiting on a bus to go to Pier 36, I looked out and there she was. Texting. Right before this someone recognized her. She was friendly, gave them an autograph and let them take pictures. Made me smile.
So, walk down one NY street and you've pretty much walked through them all. Things were actually a lot smaller than I remembered from being there in college. Doubt I will go again unless absolutely necessary. I did kinda fall in love with that little deli near the hotel. Fantastic gyro and the sweetest mix of men behind the counter - it was sorta like a comedy show.
No comments:
Post a Comment