Off to the pumpkin patch we went this fine fall morning. The day seemed ideal - sunny skies, just enough crispness in the air and leaves on the ground to remind us that fall is indeed here. After finding our original destination without pumpkins (all I could do to keep Quinn from losing it - this was where we went last year and there was a tricycle with a trailer; couldn't get him off of it), we found a second farm that boasted a hay bale maze and a gift shop.
We dragged Grandpa along, too. We climbed the hay pyramid. We navigated the maze. So far, so good. After soaking that for all we could get, across the street to the pumpkins we went. We ran into a few people we knew, and as I was "meetin' and greetin'", I hear my child erupt in screams. He and Daddy were off looking at some of the bigger pumpkins, and when I got there it was clear that Quinn had gotten stung by a yellow jacket in his middle finger of his right hand.
The property owners let us inside the house to run his hand in cold water, and after a few minutes it was apparent that we should go home. He isn't allergic, but his finger was swollen and he kept bursting into tears; no further fun was going to be had.
Home we came, and did some ministrations. As we're huddled in the kitchen, he says "That darn bee!".
I guess that says it all...
5 comments:
Those bees out there were terrible. Poor guy...wish we could have chatted more. We should have you guys over again so Quinn can check out our ceiling fan, he is priceless!
Steph!!! Yeah, it was pretty bad - we came back, soaked his hand in cold water,than got him (finally) to take a nap. He insisted that he take a cold pack to bed with him. We are available most anytime, and he loves Mason, even if he is Mr. Stand0ffish most of the time. Hope you got out of there without a sting.
Stephanie: Sometimes I should read what I type - Quinn is Mr. StandOffish (gotta work on that grammar, I tell ya)and still takes a bit to warm up. I'm not sure he recognized Mason until later in the day he said "Was that Mason at the pumpkin patch?". I think we were all a little tired and cranky, even before The Attack. Long weekend already...
Oh, poor little fellow! I love how he and BB still don't hate or want to kill them. BB was up all night last night as was I...the stinging and itching have resumed...weird! Those darn bees.
Give Quinn hugs. It's so hard for them to understand. Teen Queen was 4 when a yellow jacket got her. This after I had said, "if you don't bother them, they won't bother you."
As she cried and cried, she said through sobs, "but mommy, i didn't DO anything."
She was devastated. The first time she saw me OFF my pedestal. I was wrong.
Those darn bees.
Benadryl and oatmeal soaks...yup.
Poor lil' fellow.
P.S.
Beautiful photos.
This is just totally awesome, Sarah!
I am so happy you started the blog. I feel so much more connected to you guys. Finally.
Good work. Nice picturer you got there, too.
Ciao from Rome! G
Post a Comment