I didn't account for the bizarre, for the unforeseen. My father's injury and heart attack started this year with a level of fear and anxiety that I haven't felt in years, and that is saying something. Of the first 28 days of this month I spent almost half away from home, mostly without my boys. I watched my brothers fight, watched them reach some sort of detente after years of miscommunication. I found my childhood friend can, indeed, be my friend for life. I have felt alone, scared, exhausted, cared for and blessed.
Dad continues to improve. In acute care he is still on a feeding tube, his throat not cooperating and swallowing as is necessary; they are concerned about pneumonia. He is sitting in a chair for hours a day, doing physical therapy and feeling better overall. The damage to his lungs is still unclear, especially considering the possible content of the smoke caused by the fire. I think he is actually enjoying all the attention from the nurses, though. : )
The next step is a rehab/assisted living place for a while so he can get stronger and ready to go home. But, there isn't a home to go back to. The plan right now is for him to go to Arizona to spend some time with my brother in the warmth and dryness. What happens after that is up in the air.
We had the chance to meet the newest member of our family - Peyton, my brother Daniel's daughter who was born on Thanksgiving Day. Quinn was awestruck, and said to me later that he wanted to take Peyton home with us.
Jenn, who I've known since I was five lives in Seattle and was so generous to let me, and then me and my boys, to stay with her. It was a very bright spot in an otherwise unpleasant time. Quinn was very excited about her three dogs, and continues to say "I love Mona".
Jenn has a bunny that Quinn also wants to adopt. We're working on Daddy on this one. We'll keep you updated on that progress.
Right now we're just trying to have a 'normal' life for a couple of weeks. Not sure when I'll need to go back up, but for now all I need is to be still.
No comments:
Post a Comment