Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Update

I cannot get on my Facebook page, so am updating here.

My father is still in the Cardiac ICU after suffering smoke inhalation during a fire in his building which triggered a heart attack. He was in the hospital for almost 24 hours before they could find us - long story. He had two stints put in his heart and is on a ventilator in an induced coma. They are hoping to start weaning him off the respirator and wake him up tomorrow, but his heart is not behaving entirely, so we'll see.

I'm a bit numb, but can't see how he's not going to survive and be just fine. He is in great shape for being 64 and is entirely too healthy. But, it's very disturbing to see someone you love lying on a bed with a machine noisily breathing for them.

And just to add a little more drama, it is flooding in Seattle, and the one highway headed south is closed and could be closed for a week. Yeah. There may be no way for me to get home. It just gets better and better. My brother actually had to leave the hospital to go home and get his baby because there was 5 feet of water around the house.

So. Here we are. I'm exhausted and am going to bed.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Healing thoughts for your dad. I wish I lived closer, Sarah, and could do something real to help. It's so hard watching anyone - especially your parent - go through something like this.