Monday, May 4, 2009

A little bit of this, a little bit of that

Admitting it: I feel disconnected. Adrift. Awash. Aimless. Anachronistic. Arthritic. Ancient.

So many things going on in my noggin, even if there's not much going on around it beyond the usual day-to-day happenings. Thought that I would for sure have a job by now, have a new routine, a new something going on. But, that hasn't happened, and along the way I have been amazed at how recruiters are behaving and treating people. Long stories, but suffice it to say that I am be severely picky these days, so the prospects are a bit dim.

BUT! There is always Quinn to brighten and fill my days.
As you know, he has been Dr. Dodo for a while. Baby Allie is the one on the receiving end most of the time. This poor baby, she does suffer so.
I'm not sure if we were playing "My Fair Lady" or something here, all I know is that the feathers on this bowl keep coming off and I find them stuck to the sole of my shoe way too much.

We got around to painting the little caboose we got at Michael's months ago. It was originally going to be more usual caboosey colors, but one he got into it, Quinn went for a more, well, pastel look.
I think the dots make it.


Something new in our house is a Job Chart for Quinn. He was starting to do chores regularly, and we wanted to have a way to visualize it for him. He is a visual kid, so we worked on it together and came up with this:

We are on our fourth week, and the chart has changed since we found some improvements made it easier to work with. You can't see it, but the jobs are putting utensils in the drawer from the dishwasher, putting dirty clothes in his hamper, picking up his room before bed, and taking the garbage to the curb and back in (with Dad or me, of course). He also takes out the compost when it is needed. He does all the jobs perfectly and almost never whines about it (or at least, not any more). At the end of the week he gets to pick some treat, within reason. One week it was a smoothy from Bob's Red Mill (heaven on earth). The next it was M&M's (such a rarity in our lives). He asked for those again this week, so there may be a trend appearing.

So. Now my question is: if I do all my chores, what do I get?

No comments: