Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Soccer may not be an instant love

Quinn's camp this week is soccer. Thought I'd better mix it up a tad with some sport activity. I knew it was going to be a hard sell, but I was still a bit surprised/frustrated that Quinn didn't seem to warm up to it at all the first day.

In fact, he spent most of the two hours in this pose apparently:

Please notice that all the other kids are running around, kicking their balls, having a swell time. Quinn, of course, is hanging out with one of the camp counselors. One on one, that is what my kid is about.


The second day was a bit better. I hung out for a while before leaving and he actually got a ball and kicked it around with the other kids. I came back a little early and spied on him from the car. He was participating in the games, dribbling, trapping, passing and doing what everyone else was doing. After ten minutes of that, though, he found a counselor and sat with her, chatting. About fans or trains or kitties, I would guess.

I think most of the kids are five or six, with Quinn definately being the smallest and youngest kid of the group. There are also around 20 of them, which I think is part of the problem. Quinn is definately a small-group kind of kid. He likes individual attention. Gee, I wonder why??? Times like these make me wish he had a sibling. Sort of. A little.

Slow to warm up - not a jump-in-the-deep-end kinda child is my Quinn. He comes by it honestly, so I'm glad he has also inherited resilience and self-reliance.


We have a week off next week from camps. Daddy is off for his annual Terribly Strenuous Hike with his buddy Bradley G. so we will go somewhere, too and do some unscheduled day trips together. Visit friends in Eugene. Go to Astoria. The zoo, maybe.


And we may even do soccer again. Depending on the vote at the end of the week. With Quinn, you just don't know.

No comments: