Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Duck, Duck, School

As I deep breathe my way through the next few days, thought I'd get one last post in before I head out for the weekend.


As is our routine, Quinn and I visit the local Duck Pond at least once a week. We even researched the right thing to feed said ducks (being as we don't have yucky white bread to feed them, and they're not getting my yummy whole wheat with nuts) and always bring a bag of cracked corn with us. The pond happens to be located (oh so conveniently) next to the best park around us; it's in a wetland that you access by a raised boardwalk. All so adorable.


The ducks are used to being fed, although if they don't have a large number of their friends to back them up, they can be a little skittish. All mallards, they fight like a bunch of siblings.

Quinn likes to throw the corn, but most of it ends up on him and the steps behind him. I'm sure the ducks come up once we're gone and eat what's there.


And on the way out, always have to visit the play ground, and see if anything has changed.



Yesterday we headed to the mall. No, really. I know I hate the mall, but when you know exactly what you're after, it's doable. Although, just let me say that I hate nothing more than the pushy salespeople who work at some of those kiosks - you know, the little stands in the middle of the aisle of the mall. One guy followed me twenty feet trying to get me to try some hair thing that was supposed to cure my straight hair problem. Huh? Didn't he NOTICE my spiffy, nifty new hair cut? I have flashbacks to Africa everytime I go there. I try not to be rude and completely ignore them, but it happens every 200 feet, so I need a better plan.

Anyway, we managed to pick up a great lunchbox for Quinn for his first day of preschool next week. He wanted it out of the bag right away and proceeded to carry it the rest of the time we were there (big soft pretzel and strawberry lemonade being on the OTHER side of the mall, of course - rotten karma). Pretty darn cute, I must say.
We got home and decided to write his name in it. I thought it might be a good idea if the teacher could actually read the name, so I did my version, then Quinn did his. I shouldn't have bothered, he writes his name like a champ.

I'm wondering how long I can sit in my car in the preschool parking lot before someone comes out to ask me if I'm ever gonna leave????

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe he's starting pre-school!! He's all grown up - awesome lunch box and all. I'm excited for all he's going to learn and experience and can't wait for the blogs to start rolling in with great stories.

Katie said...

Oh boy the preschool woes. First, I was in your shoes. Now, I'm not sure River is being academically challenged at all. And I'm serious. We are visiting a different school Monday. I figure a return to a new school after the holidays won't be such a big deal. Good luck to you guys!!!

P.S. It's raining here now too!

Lisa said...

Preschool already? I say, stay in the parking lot as long as you need to! I'm excited to hear what this smart boy thinks of preschool. {I just still can't believe he's that old!} And by the way, where are the pictures of your fantastic haircut? ;)