So lots of indoor time in the past two weeks. No going to feed the ducks in the wetland near us. No walking in the trails up the road - too much mud, too much chance for me, Miss Clumsy-in-a-straight-line, to attempt. No trips to the park in the rain and the cold. We've reverted to doing anything new we can think of to remain sane.
Some quality time on the computer drawing:
Had an interesting thing happen today while getting my hair cut. After not even having a trim since we first moved over here in May, I was looking, well, scruffy. No attempts at cuteness resulted in anything but my hair just lying there. Bored and tired. So, finally just called a place up the road a bit and went in this afternoon.
The hair stylist was, well, interesting. We both have only one kid, a boy, but our parenting could not be more different. I did my best to smile and nod, but something really got me and made me glad I've done it differently.
This mother kept saying how proud she was that her kid is "spoiled". She went on and on about how they've made 'a little monster' of their six-year-old because everytime they go to the store he gets a toy. Now, of course, he expects it and will pitch an unholy fit if it doesn't happen. She thinks it's cute.
Ugh. Why do people think having spoiled kids is a thing to be proud of?? Does a whiny, obnoxious child say anything positive? I don't know, it made me glad that I've resisted the urge to just get Quinn something 'cause we're there and he's wonderful and deserves a treat. Now, because we haven't made it a routine, when he does get something, it is treasured and a real treat.
Now, I'm not saying that I won't go back to Tami in the future. She did give me a flippy, adorable haircut, but next time we may need to talk about movies or our favorite recipes. Safe topics.
1 comment:
I hear ya on the rain! Noah is pretty bummed about it! He invited his pre-school class HERE over to our house to sled and gave advise on the types of sled that would work best for our yard in La Grande! He invited them all to La Grande! One of the other parents told me about it! Poor kid!
Post a Comment