Since at my stage of arthritis there is no fluid left to cushion my knee walking can often be painful and this limp means my back goes out and I just feel all out of whack. A chiropractor would have a field day with me (but my fear of that bone snapping sound keeps me far, far away from those sadists), but until I take care of the core problem, any other intervention is just a band-aid.
Off Quinn and I went to Dr. Baum. Now, this guy is a hoot. He's in his late 50's or early 60's, grey hair, and always has on hip little glasses. Quinn loves him in the way only young kids can. The first and second times we saw Dr. Baum, he gave Quinn rubber gloves so he could blow them up, draw on them and give them names. Hint: if you want my child's undying loyalty, give him a rubber glove. Hmm. Note to self - buy some rubber gloves....
Since I had to take Quinn with me and had no real idea what this shot was going to be like, I was a bit apprehensive. I didn't know if it was going to be a needle the size of Kentucky, if it was going to hurt so bad that I had to make little hurt noises, and I didn't want to scare him. The last time we were at the doctor for him, Quinn got a shot, and he DID NOT APPRECIATE IT one bit. He pulled away from the needle which made it hurt even more. He was clear with me that he would hold my hand and warned me to not "jerk away from the needle, Mama!". My support person.
Quinn put Dr. Baum through the 2000 Questions. "Why aren't you wearing shorts? Where did you get that light from? Why is your chair blue with black spots and not black with blue spots?". The Doc obviously likes kids and kept his happy face on throughout.
The needle turned out to be super tiny and I barely felt a thing. Quinn got to but the band-aid on and then it happened.
I hear "Dr. Baum! Where is the lollipop for my Mama??!!??"
They don't have lollipops there. Never thought about it. I did that thing moms do - explained the reason for the question in a low, quick voice. The doctor apologized for this omission, but Quinn wasn't satisfied.
"Hey, you gotta get some lollipops for people who get shots. It's what you're supposed to do!"
After shaming the nice man, he proceeded to tell the nurse about the oversight and then the receptionist when we passed by her desk on the way out.
I'll have to go back again. And I'll bet you anything that they have some lollipops behind the desk for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment