Sunday, February 24, 2008

One good tantrum deserves another

Had to leave play group on Friday half way through. Quinn did not take kindly to the crawling baby taking the plastic banana he had been playing with at some time in the recent past, and grabbed it from her.
Now, I most likely reacted too quickly to it, but I know that whine, that tone of voice from my little handful, and knew that within seconds we were going to have a public display of our Ear Piercing Deafness Producing Scream. I just wasn't in the mood.

So, picked him up and took him to the hallway, as far away as I could get. Sat on the stairs. He was still crying, something repetitive like "The baby took my banana!" with that heartbroken, never-gonna-recover sobbing. I explained all about the 'once you put a toy down in a group and walk away, it is fair game' concept, but he was having none of it. When he wouldn't hush, I told him that if he insisted on yelling that we would have to leave play group (something he waits for all week - "Mama, when is Friday?").

Now, we've been working on the whole screaming thing for a long time. Quinn is my little perfectionist and does not grasp why the world sometimes doesn't work the way he thinks it should. The frustration threshold is sometimes, well, subterranian. He has seldom really lost it in public. But he knows that if he does lose it then we have to leave.
He told me that he wasn't going to "calm down even a little". Called my hand, he did.
So, off we went through the muddy grass to the car and home.
I'm pretty sure I was more disappointed than he was.
Three is a joy.
This is Quinn's latest use of his foam thingamabobs. From spelling his name to putting some numbers together. This had to lay there all day just like the last time.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Ok, I am so BLIND to things. Katie was asking where you went and I wasn't sure. I hope it wasn't, but I think it is safe to assume that MaKenna took the banana. I didn't notice any of it and would have had her give it back to him. So sorry Quinn!!

Van Dykes said...

No, wasn't MaKenna - it was another cute little girl. She was completely oblivious and just wanted the banana, most likely to chew on. It was drama, and I had to carry through with what I told him would happen if he freaked out in group. It was a looooong day.

Unknown said...

I took the banana!

Van Dykes said...

I should have recognized you! That chubby face. That whispy hair. Dead ringer. ; )