Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Snow what fun

It's snowing again, and it looks like it doesn't plan on stopping any time soon. At least we're not alone, with so many people I know coping with snow, ice and being stuck in their house.

We're in the middle of storm #2. I went out to Rite Aid after lunch and found it closed. Safeway was packed with people getting the necessities. You know - beer, chips, wine. I mean, there IS football tomorrow and everything. Must be prepared.

Our week has been punctuated by days spent stuck in the house and days with quick forays out to finish up all things Christmas. Since we are sticking close to home this year, we are keeping it low key and mellow. A few gifts for Quinn, and that's about it. We'll concentrate on our traditions and spending time with each other.

Quinn did ask today if Santa was going to have any trouble getting out of the North Pole because of all the snow. He suggested that if the sleigh didn't work, perhaps he could hitch a ride on the Polar Express. Clever kid.


Since Quinn's little Winter Program at his preschool was canceled on Thursday, we decided to break out the gingerbread cookies we made and do some decorating. No trying to keep the sugar level to a minimum this year - we went straight for the sugar decorations. It went over very well.

These are the result. Please note the Cyclops Ginger Dude. Quinn's idea. I have no idea what the blob in the bottom left is supposed to be. Use your imagination.

These pictures are from today's snow, about noon, so there's about another inch by now. Quinn thought he'd help out by getting some of that snow off Daddy's car.

What is more fun than a kid in the snow??? And let me tell ya, we weren't prepared for this weather. It took me 5 hours to find these snow pants, buried in the "too small" box in the garage. After some adjustment they actually still fit. Snow boots, on the other hand, were more of a problem. I never did find them in the garage, which was probably a good thing - they for sure wouldn't have fit. So, I rigged up a pair of boots using Quinn's a-bit-too-big rain boots with a pair of my wool socks for liners. He could actually walk in them, and the socks went up to his knees, so a bit of extra warmth. After walking 10 blocks to the store this morning and playing outside for over an hour, his tootsies were toasty warm. All is good.
So, here we sit, watching snow, adding pellets to the stove when needed and trying not to eat the cookies I baked and wrapped for a friend but haven't been able to get the 10 miles to see her all week. Whoops. Too late. Erick had them for lunch.
Sigh.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Ugh, Sarah. Snow. I'm done. Walla Walla doesn't plow its roads. How incredibly messed up is that? I'm glad that Quinn is having fun though ... and what a trooper. I don't think I can last an hour in this stuff!