Monday, December 1, 2008

How did that preschool thing go, anyway??

After all the angst of the pre-preschool moments, I realize that I didn't follow up on Quinn's first day of Preschool.

In a nutshell - he wouldn't mind being there all the time. He was more than ready to be left there, without me, to play with the Excellent play kitchen, find where all the things with wheels lived, and to scope out the Circle Time rug (which has a train on it, just to seal the deal).

He barely waved when I left the first day, and wasn't quite ready to leave when I came back four hours later. He's the youngest in the class but seems to be holding his own.

Yesterday I walked in the building (which has the security of Fort Knox) and was told by the owner that Quinn was "the bravest kid in the school". What? Did he fend off intruders? Catch a spider? No, apparently someone brought in a beautiful male cockatiel (named Pumpkin) for the kids. Quinn apparently was the only one who wanted to pet it and then held it on his arm before it took off and flew around the room. According to Miss Amanda (his adorable, red-headed young teacher) Quinn was completely astounded and kept saying "Hello, Pumpkin! You're so pretty!". Charming as always.

So, all the angst was my own. They fill out a sheet every day for each kid and it tells what they did that day, how much of their lunch they ate, and all that stuff. It's amazing what they do in only four hours. Makes me tired just reading it. But it's nice to have, and helps us talk about his day, since getting details out of my son can be a tortuous affair.

So, we're currently contemplating going to three mornings a week. Quinn's a happy boy, and with the new Advent Calendar and a surprise to look forward each day, he is like pig in...well...poop. Happy happy.

And that's all I want for Christmas.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not so surprised. That kid thirsts for knowledge. Such a great kid, can't wait for more stories!

Lisa said...

So it looks like you got your Christmas wish! ;) Sarah, knowing you and Erick, I'm sure Quinn, honestly, is one of the most well adjusted (brightest) kids in the class. Aren't you going to be the proudest mom when that little daily sheet says, "During circle time, Quinn talked about the latest NPR broadcast ..." {That's so coming!!} ;)