Friday, November 9, 2007

How much snot is too much?

We have a playgroup that starts at 10:30.

Quinn has been heaving snot for a week. It's still running, and we're on the horns of a dilemma: go to the group and potentially infect a few innocent babes (and by default, their long-suffering mothers), or spend yet another long, long day couped up in the house. Waiting for snot.

Now, I doubt the little lad is contagious - we've been battling this for a week, and, trying not to be too graphic, there isn't anything green about it. That doesn't mean that I didn't look over at him only to see a lovely amount of it running down his lip just half an hour ago. He asked for some more Vick's on his divot after he woke up. His father is dead asleep in bed after a whirlwind trip to and from Corvallis yesterday, battling his own version of this virus. It's not the worst we've experienced, but it isn't pretty, either.

Egads. All I want and need is a little fun time for the infected one, and a little semi-off time for me. I just love watching all those different kids playing - it does my heart good. And since I seem to be the one person in this house that isn't a snot factory, don't I get a say?? I know. I'm whining. I'm being childish. But, dangit, I wanna go!

Okay. Breathe. Apparently I am suffering from a little cabin fever. Perhaps I need some perspective.

It's 9:15. Too early for a cocktail??

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, yeah. By most standards in this part, it's too early for a cocktail. I'd say, if his snot isn't green and oozing ceaselessly, if he has no fever, and he ain't coughing all over the place, then go! It's that time of year and I think most moms would understand. If you wait for the cold symptoms to disappear it may be April before you go out. I don't want to come over to find you rocking back and forth in the corner while staring into space.

Your common courtesies are appreciated by mothers, I'm sure!

Katie said...

Glad you came (and told me about it.) I think snot is something expected from kids. I figure, if they don't get the germs now, they will be sick all of 1st and 2nd grade. My kids had a great time. Cheers!

Van Dykes said...

Amen, sistas! Glad we went - there wasn't too much...drainage...but I tell ya, he was one cranky dude once we got home, and fell in a dead sleep right after lunch. That will teach the little twerp to get up at 6 am! Uh oh. Think I hear someone coughing. Crud. It's the husband...

Anonymous said...

Hon, listen...put Q in bed with E...then tiptoe out the door. I'll pick you up on 84!

Van Dykes said...

Hey! I've been waiting! Where are you??!!??

:)