Now, that doesn't mean I don't like to give gifts. Quite the opposite. I have to rein in my giving almost relentlessly - nothing better than finding THE perfect gift for someone. But, somewhere along the line, on one of those unbearable trips to Milwaukee to see my grandmother, shoved into the car with five other people, to a stressful and almost painful Christmas, I gave up on it all.
But. Now there is Little Man in the picture. He's almost three, so he is starting to really "get" what the tree, the presents, Santa, and the rest are about. At least at that level. I may not have had a wonderful experience as a kid around Christmas, but I want something different for him.
So, the pressure (self-imposed, of course) is on.
The temptation to go overboard is there. What is it about human nature that makes us do that, like making it up to my child will heal my own wounds? It just isn't logical, but there it is. I'm so careful not to spoil him, not to turn him into a super-consumer or a sucker for everything commercial. But I also want him to like Christmas, to have good memories, and to not feel this way every December.
Wonder if I should put that in my letter to Santa?
2 comments:
So are you moving anytime soon?
Brett, you are going to make her explode if you keep asking that :)
Maybe, Sarah, what you and E can do is incorporate the giving. What I've done with my kids is be sure that for each gift they get, they get rid of something. Often it is something in great condition that we can give to the relief nursery or the foster kids' "closet". And we always give to those in need...blankets, food, etc. I hate the consumerism and have gotten to the point where the kids get one or two good things they really want and then things they can use...the older they get, getting ONE good thing is plenty expensive. And even when I was single parenting, and couldn't give much, I made sure to stick to traditions...making the cookies, setting out the mild and plate of cookies, reading the night before christmas just before bed on christmas eve...etc. And unlike my family, who opened on Christmas Eve, we stretch it out all day on Christmas over good yummies in our jammies.
As another parent who is changing the legacy a bit... are the traditions you are creating?
Post a Comment